Personally, I believe that often the most "simple" dates in terms of their financial costs can be the most special. Michael and I love traveling together, and we love an occasional fancy dinner, but we've never been disappointed when we choose to avoid the crowds on Valentine's Day. I love how removing the formal dining experience or crowded movie theater can allow us to relax and more easily focus on the person we're investing our time in.
Valentine's Day is fun to celebrate in big or small ways, but it can be frustrating to battle the crowds of other couples who have a very similar itinerary to yours. In past years, Michael and I have often celebrated a week before or after the day to avoid the crowds. This year, we're cooking dinner and snuggling up to a movie at home together (or maybe a couple episodes of the very non-romantic British show Broadchurch.) Nights where we can cook together don't happen very often, but they're some of my favorites. For those of you still wondering what you could easily, and cost effectively do with your loved one this weekend, here are a few of my suggestions:
- Cook a meal together.
- Make a blanket fort.
- Buy a puzzle to complete together.
- Go for a walk or hike.
- Pack up whatever you would be eating for lunch or dinner and go on a picnic.
- Do an art project together.
- Go to the beach and make Plaster of Paris faces.
- Go camping at an inexpensive local spot.
- Take a walk through a favorite area of town; or an area of town you don't often explore. (Depending on how many restaurants are in the area, this may be more enjoyable as a date night that doesn't coincide with Valentine's Day.)
- Read out loud to each other.
- If you're musical, play your instruments together. Maybe even compose a song.
- Buy a board game and play it together. This video has a great list of two player games.
What will you be doing this Valentine's Day?
P.S. if you're still looking for some Valentines to send to your loved ones, you should check out the printable nerdy Valentines I shared last week!